Who We Are and Our Aims
- A voluntary not-for-profit Incorporated Charity (1026891);
- A Company Limited by Guarantee (1114259);
- OFSTED accredited (EY408916);
- Member of the Suffolk Early Years Development Plan.
- Member of the Pre-School Learning Alliance.
Stonham Aspal Pre-school has been established since 1981 and currently provides education and care for children under statutory school age in our purpose-built premises which opened in June 2010. Parents are members of the Pre-School once they have signed their child’s registration form. This means that you have a vote at the Annual General Meeting. We offer a play-based provision based on the Revised Early Years Foundation Stage Guidance and Practice (DofE, 2012 ).
Our aims are:-
- To offer free flow play and activities based on the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework, 2012.
- For each child to be supported by a Key Person who will keep a record of the child’s development and build a relationship with the family.
- For each child to progress at their own pace through the early stages of social, physical, intellectual and emotional development.
- To encourage self confidence, self-esteem and a healthy respect for others.
- To promote a happy, relaxed and caring environment in which children can have fun and learn through play.
- To maintain our important role in the child’s transition from Pre-School to Primary school.
- To encourage a good relationship between Pre-School and Primary School.
To achieve this we will:-
- Plan an enabling environment and appropriate activities based upon observations made by key persons and relating to knowledge gained from parents through day to day communication and from information shared at parent/key person meetings.
- Provide appropriate ratios to support the needs of all children;
- Acknowledge that children may need to bring comforters in with them (we do recommend that dummies are only used to settle children to sleep)
- Invite parents or carers to spend a minimum of two sessions (free) with their child before they start coming on their own.
- Ensure that children who require help with their personal care are treated with dignity and respect
- Encourage parents/carers to become involved in their child’s care and education at Pre-School by joining the group during a session, sharing their skills, gaining information through training events and taking part in the management of the Pre-School.
- Ensure that we offer inclusive opportunities for all children whatever their race, culture, gender, religion, means, ability, disability or learning difficulty.
- Gather information about children which will be helpful when they move on to their next setting;
- Work with other professionals to ensure each child’s needs are met.
- Welcome teachers involved in the Foundation Stage into our setting to aid the children’s transition into Primary School and by accompanying those children when they make ‘settling’ visits to the school.
Dedicated to the task
Through the hard work and commitment of our Staff and Board of Directors we aim to provide a learning-based environment that nurtures every child. Our dedicated team of 5 and further team of pool staff constantly strive to raise standards through well-structured and stimulating programmes. We also endeavour to promote positive relationships between home, school and the wider community
We strive to nurture our children’s moral and spiritual development. We respect all religions and make a point of learning about the cultural diversity of the families within our setting, many of whom are Christian. We are very fortunate to be situated close to St. Mary & St. Lambert, the Parish Church at Stonham Aspal and enjoy close ties with The Reverend. Children are encouraged to have fun through special services held in the Church.
Being a Company Limited by Guarantee, we have an enthusiastic and committed Board of Directors and Committee Members who help manage affairs, leaving the Team free to concentrate on the children. Most members are current parents, although there are affiliate members who are past-parents of children at Pre-School. We also have a highly active Fundraising Sub-Committee who work tirelessly to raise funds for outings and new resources. We are often looking for new members and welcome all contributions and suggestions from parents.
“I truly believe that my child has been given the best start to his education with you. The approach to big school has worked perfectly for him and eased the fears I had when he started, that he may not be ready. Thank you for everything you have shared with him. You are all brilliant.”